Thursday, July 16, 2009

A.M.'s Story

"I had the opportunity to work with a CharlotTEEN project. The activity entails painting crafts with seniors at a nursing care facility. However, the main purpose of the activity is to spend time with people who have limited interaction with others in the community, especially youth. After the teens were paired up with a senior, I sat and helped a woman who previously experienced two strokes. She can only see out of one eye and has limited function on one side of her body. Jean said she wasn’t able to paint the picture frame because of her limited ability. But I encouraged her and reminded her there is no wrong way to create art. I held the frame for her while she painted, directing her to the spots she missed. She was so proud and grateful at the end of the project and told me how impressed her daughter would be. As she coated the frame with paint, we talked and shared stories. Someone gave Jean the opportunity to be part of something, to participate. I think she was surprised at the confidence I had in her. Though - I wasn't surprised at her ability."

No comments:

Post a Comment