Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Believe it, Mrs. Math: I'm a math tutor now

The words every volunteer tutor loathes to hear from a high school student: “I need some help with math.”


The response I’ve always wanted to give: “Hey, me too, kid. Where do we get in line?”


Alas, today I was the math tutor. For one hour, it was my responsibility to help a ninth grader at Midwood High School understand the concepts of integers and basic algebra. And to what I imagine would be the utter disbelief of Mrs. Barritt, Mrs. Pilo, Mrs. Zack and every other math teacher I’ve ever had, I didn’t cause this student to regress in her understanding of mathematics, time or space. In fact, the session was a great success.


I don’t know if there’s a more rewarding volunteer experience for me than to tutor students. The objective and success are clearly defined. That’s easy. But more importantly, tutoring provides an opportunity to have a real impact on a young person’s personal and professional life. Success in school snowballs into positive self-confidence, and confidence, I’ve learned, begets success in so many of life’s challenges. Help a kid earn an A on a math test after he earned a D on a previous attempt. Then watch how his outlook about school and life changes.


My co-worker Shari and I are planning to go back to Midwood High School every Wednesday from here on out. Sign up to join us on the Web site. And I assure you: no matter how bizarre it might seem to your former teachers, you can handle the academic rigors of being a high school tutor.




-Tanner



PS! - Hey, we're really serious about getting this blog up and running again. If you made it all the way to the "PS!" of this post, do you mind following our blog, ReTweeting, hitting the "Like" button or just calling a friend to tell them about us! Hands On Charlotte is hitting the blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment