Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tutoring at Midwood High

For the past several weeks I volunteered as a tutor with Midwood High School, a transitional high school for 9th graders. For this project Hands On Charlotte volunteers collaborate with one specific teacher each semester. This semester, volunteers have lent their skills to a creative writing class. Volunteers then work one-on-one with students to help reinforce assignments they have been studying in class. Projects have included writing news articles, fables and editorials.

Today was especially neat to be a part of because the students are preparing for end of semester testing. I felt like I was truly helping to serve a very real and practical need in their lives. There was that one ‘ah-ha’ moment that I was able to see in my student’s eye today as we were going over vocabulary that I will be able to take away and cherish from this project. The opportunity to be able to witness that moment is all the reward I need to keep me wanting to come back.

This project is one that would really benefit from consistent volunteers in order to help establish a good working rapport with the students. I encourage you to become involved in any capacity you can to bolster the students at Midwood High and provide them the practical knowledge, as well as encouragement, that they need to succeed as they work towards earning their high school diploma. The project meets every Wednesday from 1-2:15pm.

Click here to join me as a tutor at Midwood High.


Kristen Okamato is a Hands On Charlotte volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment