Monday, April 18, 2011

Visiting the McColl Center for Visual Art

Since I am an art lover, I decided to volunteer at McColl’s Community Service Day. Every corner of the restored neo-Gothic church was filled with family friendly art activities and children performances. Some of the activities including book making while another allowed patrons to assist an artist with his installation called the “Work of Art that Grows.”

My particular task included helping a former resident artist, Annabel Manning, with the Nature Prints. The project consisted of 5 stages in which individuals created their own print with miscellaneous objects, construction paper cutouts or their personal design on a plastic transparency. Throughout the morning and afternoon, our group assisted numerous families with their mini projects in which they proudly displayed on our studio walls and in the halls.

As I left my shift, I participated in a brief 20 minute docent led tour to learn more about the history and vision of the McColl Center. The tour consisted of a brief history of the original church, McColl Center, and its artist in residency programs. As a new Charlotte resident and a fellow MBA graduate student, it was rather insightful to learn how the McColl Center integrates with the Uptown community to spur innovation and creativity.

As I walked out the Center’s arches into the beautiful spring day, I was reminded of my childhood as two young boys were in deep concentration on their sidewalk chalk drawing. This event was yet another Hands On Charlotte project that me closer to the Charlotte community.


--Leticia Foster is a Hands On Charlotte volunteer.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! This makes me want to get more involved in the arts of my own community. Thanks for your reflections, Ms. Foster.

    ReplyDelete