Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Foster volunteers at Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina

Hands On Charlotte volunteers were busy in action despite the heat advisories at Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina yesterday. This week, I had the opportunity to assist the local food bank in the “Race Against Hunger” project. This was my first experience here at Second Harvest and I learned quite a bit in the two hours I volunteered.

Every year, Second Harvest delivers at least 3 million pounds of foods to agencies in 19 counties in the Carolinas. Last week, Second Harvest opened its 4th satellite location in Spartanburg. Prior to this opening, agencies in Spartanburg and the surrounding areas traveled the one and half hour commute to Charlotte to pick up food deliveries! During this particular volunteer event, Hands On Charlotte volunteers assisted with sorting donations from CVS. I never really realized the variety of household and beauty items the store sells until this particular sort. In addition to household items, the volunteers also prepared snack donations to be delivered to the new location warehouse.

Unfortunately, during this visit I was unable to meet the well-respected Ms. Grace. Ms. Grace is an employee of Second Harvest who has dedicated 26 years to servicing agencies in need. I was looking forward to hearing her stories from working at Second Harvest and her interaction with other volunteers and recipients…I guess this means I will be volunteering again!


Leticia Foster is a Hands On Charlotte volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment