Friday, December 17, 2010

An open letter from Executive Director Lisa Quisenberry

Dear Hands On Charlotte volunteers,

Some of you may remember that almost 20 years ago a group of 15 concerned citizens came together to found Hands On Charlotte in order to make it easier for people to volunteer their time. While the scope and impact of HOC have grown through the years, our core mission remains to inspire, to equip and to mobilize volunteers to meet critical community needs.

I am blessed to have been able to be part of Hands On Charlotte’s evolution from that original group into one of our city’s most important nonprofits. Our volunteer programs assist hundreds of nonprofits, schools and agencies and engage 12,000 volunteers. Together, we have built HOC into an impactful and sustainable institution.

I was reminded of the importance of sustainability recently when I met a student volunteer at Hawthorne High School named Jasmine. Jasmine looked at my nametag and said, “I remember you and Hands On Charlotte. You used to come to the Boy’s & Girl’s Club and teach us and play with us. You all were so nice”. I was astonished that she would know me, as it’s been at least 10 years since I volunteered there. But what really excited me was that now SHE was volunteering 4 hours of her time on a to help build a memorial garden for a Hawthorne student who was murdered last year.

That’s the legacy of HOC. That a teenaged girl has such a good memory of volunteers who spent time with her that she would joyfully get up early on a Saturday morning and volunteer herself! This legacy would not be possible without the continued support of you – HOC’s committed volunteers.

Helping others is a life-changing event, and I am dedicated to making sure that many, many more people get that chance. I hope you will join me in ensuring that Hands On Charlotte is sustainable next year and many more years to come by making a financial contribution. We’ve made it easy for you – just click this link to give online. If you prefer the tried-and-true method of mailing a check, our address is:

Hands On Charlotte
1616 Central Avenue Suite 200
Charlotte, NC 28205

Thank you so much for all you do for Hands On Charlotte and have a wonderful holiday.


In service,

Lisa Quisenberry
Co-Founder and Executive Director
Hands On Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment