Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Volunteer Diary: Liz Horgan at the Charlotte Nature Museum

I signed up for the outdoor workday/morning at the Nature Museum for 2 reasons. First, I used to take my kids there when they were younger, thought it was a great place, and know how difficult things are for non-profits today. Second, because I enjoy working outdoors. When I arrived (this being my first time volunteering at this site with HOC), I was surprised to see that I knew the activity leader! We're in the same class in grad school together! Small world.

The day was perfect, sunny and cool. We put down mulch, and on the nature trail helped mitigate the impacts from invasive plant species (that's an attempt at finding an impressive way of saying we pulled ivy from the hardwoods and ground cover - wheelbarrow fulls). I met a diverse group of people, all there happy to "help", and ended up having fun while benefiting the community. Thanks for organizing this project!


Liz Horgan is a volunteer for Hands On Charlotte.

Do you want to write a Volunteer Diary for our blog? Email Tanner Kroeger for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment