Monday, May 2, 2011

As spring blossoms, kids celebrate the season at Reedy Creek Park

Despite poor weather, a recent Easter egg hunt and celebration at Reedy Creek Park were a great success for area foster children. Kids participated in several arts and crafts projects with foster parents and HOC volunteers. The activities included decorating Easter eggs, creating a necklace, playing “Bunny” bingo, and “Pin the Tail on the Bunny” to name a few.

It was a joy to see how the children helped each other decorate as well as proudly display their creations. Culminating the event was the infamous hunt. While the children participated in the indoor activities, volunteers hid over 430 candy-filled Easter eggs throughout the playground. I don’t know how but the kids were able to find every single egg it seems like in less than 10 minutes.

The best part of volunteering with this event was the kid’s enthusiasm and smiles. They were truly excited and happy to participate in this event. Each proclaimed that they were going to get “the most” eggs which was a quick reminder of my own childhood. I truly enjoyed working with this project because this was my first dealing with children….I think I am finding my niche project


--Leticia Foster is a Hands On Charlotte volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment