Thursday, May 26, 2011

Game night a fun night at Regency

All five Hands On Charlotte volunteers sat around tables accompanying residents of the Regency Retirement Village. We took the stacks of Bingo cards and selected the two we were going to play with for the night. In the middle of the tables were cups filled with white chips to cover the numbers called out, but those were for guests as the residents all had chips of their own liking. The woman beside me had gold chips and the woman across had red ones, etc.

“B7”…..”O65”…”N24”…were called by the Hands On Charlotte project leader as the residents intently looked for the numbers being called. This went on for a few minutes until “BINGO!” the woman beside me called out. She was then given her quarter for the win of that game. All cards were cleared and the new game began.

I found that I had chosen to sit at the lucky table for the evening, as many of the wins went to the residents at my table. Small talk in between games went on about the cards and the wins from weeks past, but as soon as the calling began all eyes were locked on the cards in front of them. “Last Game” the project leader called out and I couldn’t believe the night was almost over. I was having such a fun time playing Bingo with the residents. After the game was over, I thanked the residents for letting me play and they stated to me that I had not won that evening. I smiled and said “Yes, but I will hopefully have better card selections next time.”

I walked out of the room with them and made my way to the lobby with the other Hands On Charlotte volunteers. I am looking forward to the next BINGO night at the Regency Retirement Village tonight.

Ryan Kamp is a Hands On Charlotte volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment