Wednesday, October 6, 2010

George Bernard Shaw loved volunteering

"I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can." - George Bernard Shaw


Like so many other people in Charlotte these days, I am not a native. I am one more Midwesterner who has made his way south and learned of the loveliness of the weather and the beauty of the area. No, the weather’s not always perfect, but I’ll gladly take it over the brutal winters I grew up with along Lake Michigan in Chicago. What I do miss is the sense of community and connection thrust upon me by living in such a dense, urban setting. The connections were not always positive, and not everyone in the community got along, but there was no denying the interweaving way in which neighbors, neighborhoods, businesses, schools, places of worship, and nonprofits worked together – or didn’t.


The point is not proximity, nor an apology for the urban life. It’s about seeing the way we are connected with others. It’s about seeing when this works well and when it doesn’t. In an internet-dominated age, it is harder to notice and easier to ignore the personal and physical relationships around us. We are not islands to ourselves, but part of a greater whole, whether we acknowledge it or not. Volunteering is one way we begin to see the connections and can take action. Volunteering is the acknowledgment that I am part of a bigger picture. The health of Charlotte depends upon our seeing this picture, acknowledging the connections, and figuring out how we can each strengthen them.


So, if you’re looking for an opportunity to see the connections and be a part of a bigger picture, come join us at Hands On Charlotte Day on October 16. Come explore the connections and see where you fit. It is not about just one day; it is about a new vision. Maybe Hands On Charlotte Day is your eye opener.

-Rob Hammock

No comments:

Post a Comment