Monday, October 25, 2010

A New Journey for a New Beginning

As a 22-year-old recent graduate living 16 hours from my family in Vermont, I have found myself experiencing what some call a “post-college life crisis.” Immediately following graduation in May I gave into the dreaded nine hour-per-day desk job, and found myself completely unhappy. The fact that I moved to South Charlotte, a half an hour away from my university friends did not help. I decided to quit my job and search for a job and other things that would make me truly happy. Being unemployed has given me a great amount of time to figure out what I can do to fulfill my emptiness and bring me back to life other than moving back to Vermont (aka the North Pole!) to be with my family.


I did a lot of thinking over my first week of unemployment. I decided working to better lives of children would make me happier, as I was blessed with a great childhood. I decided working with animals would bring me joy, as I am vegan and always looking for ways to get involved. Making new friends in Charlotte would make me feel more at home. Spending time with the elderly would open my eyes to new things. One day as I was lying in bed it clicked; if I can’t find a job quickly doing any of these things, I need to volunteer. I immediately posted a status on my Facebook page asking where people volunteered their time. One response was “Register with Hands on Charlotte!” With no idea of what this organization was, I decided to check it out. WOW! One place I can go to work with kids, animals, the elderly, and meet new people. I was so excited that I actually got upset when the e-mail stated it could take up to 10 days to get my background check cleared. I wanted to start that afternoon!


I am glad to say it only took one day for my account to become active. I am so excited to start volunteering and giving back to Charlotte. I am hoping it broadens my circle of friends, and brings me a sense of fulfillment that I have been missing. I am starting with attending Game Night at the Laurels Tuesday evening. Going into this alone is a little nerve racking for me, because I am not one to go anywhere or try anything by myself. I am however, one to always try new things whether it is sky diving, bungee jumping, traveling to Australia for five months, or stepping out of my comfort zone and volunteering with people I’ve never met. I am confident that the HOC organization as well as everyone involved will be very welcoming and helpful. I am so excited to start this journey and can’t wait for the changes it will bring to my life!




Kailee Mahoney is a guest contributor to the Hands On Charlotte Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment