Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Why I Volunteer: Shari Lerline Williams

What is a volunteer? What does volunteering mean to you? To me, volunteering means sharing, painting, playing sports, laughing, building, hugging, mentoring, gardening and caring. I know, it sounds mushy, sentimental and certainly cliché, but it’s true. When you give up your personally time, and donate it to someone who needs you, how can you not feel accomplished? Since I started at Hands On Charlotte, I’ve had the opportunity to volunteer through various efforts. Beatification projects, cleaning, tutoring, and the list goes on. At times, the challenge can be daunting, but if you let go of your inhibitions I guarantee you will love it! Volunteering always provides those special situations when you surprise yourself, and learn something new. Over the years I’ve picked up a multitude of tricks, skills and tools through volunteering. This Saturday at Hands On Charlotte Day, I will learn how to build benches! Whoever thought I was equipped for such a project?!

The best feature volunteering has to offer is that there’s something for everyone! Personally, I love to mentor and tutor. One of my favorite projects is Homework Hounds. Every Tuesday I get to help Matthew, who is in kindergarten. It’s my favorite part of the day. First we complete his homework, and then we read a book together and laugh and giggle all the way to the end. Although I’m helping my mentee, he is helping me as well. He is helping me not to take my life so serious!

I challenge everyone who is reading this to take an hour out of your week or month and do something fun and rewarding… Volunteer! I promise you will thank yourself!

Want to write a "Why I Volunteer" post for our blog? Email Tanner at tanner@handsoncharlotte.org for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment