Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Reflecting on HOC Day - Tanner

We’re all starting to regroup after “Hands On Charlotte Day,” and I thought I’d share my experiences from the event with our blog readers. I had a great HOC Day, visiting three impressive sites: the McGill Rose Garden, the Assistance League Thrift Shop and the Charlotte Nature Museum. Here’s a rundown of what I found at each:
  • McGill Rose Garden: Located a block north of 277 on N. Davidson Street, this garden was a beautiful surprise. Twenty-two Hands On Charlotte volunteers joined project leader Angie Simpson in trimming rose bushes and clearing brush. Jim from Clark Nexsen was out sporting his N.C. State sweatshirt, and Kerry McCray, who leads our Panthers Recycling Program, was laughing and making everyone feel great. I’m excited to go back to the garden just to…yep…smell the roses.

  • The Assistance League Thrift Shop: This project and organization really blew me away. The first thing you should know: the Assistance League Thrift Shop in Charlotte (AL Charlotte) employs one full-time person. The rest of the operation relies on volunteers, many of which donate 40 hours per week. When you consider the quality of work they do, that’s really astounding. Last year, AL Charlotte distributed 433,000 snacks, clothed 1,640 children and awarded $19,000 in college scholarships. On top of that, AL Charlotte assisted 393 youth offenders in finding volunteer hours, helping those young people get back on track. If you want to get involved, Amy Cratsley, Hands On Charlotte’s project leader at this site, will help you get started.

  • The Charlotte Nature Museum: It’s easy to miss the Charlotte Nature Museum, located in the heart of a neighborhood on the edge of Freedom Park. But once you find it, the Nature Museum promises acres of trails and small gardens. Hands On Charlotte volunteers, led by Cathy Durbin, cleared brush, planted gardens and set gravel on paths. As Stephen Collie, a Hands On Charlotte volunteer, said, “This is a great project if you like to be outside. I like doing yard work, so it’s a great way to volunteer.”

I wish I had more time to spend at each site. I had to leave before I could have all my questions answered. But that’s part of the fun of volunteering. It offers new experiences. Even though “Hands On Charlotte Day” is over, we still have plenty of opportunities for you to volunteer. Visit the calendar and browse our upcoming events.

Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment